Sunday, August 28, 2011

Book Review: Little White Lies by Aimee Laine

Little White Lies (Mimics of Rune, #1)Little White Lies by Aimee Laine


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I took this one with me to Cape Cod this month and have to say that I wasn't disappointed. I found the writer's style easy to read and the characters three dimensional and endearing.

I have to admit, I did have some trouble in the early going -- I had trouble following what was happening from a backstory perspective. I felt for the first quarter of the book that I had missed something or that sunstroke had attacked me on the beach and that was why I wasn't following the plot. I think some of the secrets in the book were a little more vague than I would have preferred. Coupled with not understanding the mechanics of what living as a mimic is like, well, I felt a little lost.

The author's voice and the personality of the characters I was introduced to is what kept me reading. By the time I hit the halfway point in the book, I was hooked. Charley is spunky and sweet, while Wyatt is just perfectly dreamy :P (dating myself with that reference). The secondary characters really fill the plot out nicely.

When we get to it, the romance isn't corny, but feels genuine, and I found myself rooting for love in a way a cynic like me hasn't for some time. The covert operations kept me reading and turning the page, and while I had an idea who the bad guy was earlier in the story, I didn't quite have the full story. The surprises were a nice bonus.

An enjoyable summer read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment