Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How to Get Rejected

Yesterday I subbed out a flash piece I wrote called "Leaving Eric". The story is about a woman named Brenda telling us how she left her boyfriend/husband Eric.

I happened to be browsing Duotrope and came across a Husband and Wives theme and I thought, "Meh, that might work." I checked it out, and Woohoo! -- accepting flash length works. "I'm in!"

Today I got what has to be the BEST rejection a writer could ever receive. I have included it below. I would happily of included the name of the kind editor, but I do not know what sort of etiquette would apply to a situation of that sort.

Anyway, here is what I got in my email. (A 1 day response -- love the no waiting thing *cough* Boulevard Mag *cough*)

Hi, Rebecca, I just wanted to let you know that I really liked your submission, “Leaving Eric” - the end was satisfying and clever in a macabre sort of way - but unfortunately I’m not going to be able to take it for the “Husbands and Wives” themed issue. It was sure a “finalist” (actually there are two folders we put submissions after initial reading, “Sorry” and “Hotlist,” and yours made it to “Hotlist”), but it just didn’t work for the mix I’ve chosen. But if it’s any consolation I wanted to tell you how much I admired your writing and hope you’ll continue to submit to NAME WITHHELD.


Thank you, Editor. You really made my day. :)

5 comments:

  1. You must be glowing. I'm sure you'll find the right market for that piece--it's really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only all rejections left you feeling that good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I aspire to a rejection like that. Ok, I aspire to an acceptance, an offer of representation and a six figure deal. But still :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casper:

    Same here :) Any day now...

    ReplyDelete